Need to know how to save a YouTube video?
Want to learn how to download YouTube videos without any software?
You might just need to back up a video one day or get a copy of an important video on your local drive.
I’ll show you how in this article.
YouTube has a couple of visitors.
In fact, over 30 million visitors.
5 billion videos are watched every single day on YouTube.
Every – Single – Day.
Let’s say that you want to download the youtube videos to check them out later.
You’re going to need to learn how to download YouTube videos.
You can download YouTube videos in many formats, including MPEG, MP4, and AVI. You can also convert them to MP3 files if audio is all you need.
There are many ways to save a video from YouTube.
I created this guide to show you different ways to download YouTube videos.
[I also hope you will think of making your own YouTube channel. I’ll show you how much sponsors pay YouTubers as well].
Let’s get going.
First, is Downloading YouTube Videos Even Legal?
YouTube’s Terms of Service states what a user is allowed to do on its platform.
Downloading videos without permission, selling them, and infringing on copyrights are all against their terms of service.
While downloading YouTube videos is technically illegal, YouTube has taken no serious action against users for downloading videos. If you’re using the video for personal use, it’s a bit of a gray area.
This doesn’t stop 3rd party software and apps from being able to download the videos from YouTube.
But you’re only supposed to be able to watch them directly from YouTube and Google’s software.
But since you don’t have to be signed in to Google to watch YouTube videos, it’s quite difficult for them to enforce.
So you’re going to have to make the judgment call on if you think it’s ok or legal for you to download videos for personal use from YouTube.
How to Save a Video From YouTube
Downloading videos from YouTube is quite easy and there are a few different ways to do it.
One of the best and easiest ways is with a video converter.
Download YouTube Videos Using Software
Here are the instructions for you to download videos using a YouTube downloader.
First, you need to choose a video converter tool.
In my opinion, the best tool to use for this is 4K Download.
4K Download works with Windows and Mac and offers features like batch downloading and download in different quality, including 720p, 1080p, and 4k.
You can even get the YouTube subtitles and save them in the language that you need.
Give 4K Download a try – they offer a 14-day money-back guarantee should you find that you don’t like the tool.
There are plenty of other tools available as well.
Some are free versions; others are paid options.
The paid options tend to offer a better experience, which of course makes sense.
Must-have features of a YouTube Downloader Tool
- Video Quality: The video quality of the downloaded file needs to be great. You should be able to adjust the quality of the output of the video. It should allow you different quality options. It may allow you to choose a resolution like 360p, 720p, or 1080p, but it may only give you the choice of low, medium, or high quality.
- Subtitles: There are great videos that we like that are in different languages. In this case, use subtitles. You’ll want to download those particular videos with the subtitles.
- Batch Downloading: If you like a particular band, you might want to download their entire discography. Or maybe a whole filmography of great film directors! You can download files one at a time or in bulk.
- File Format Compatibility: You need various options for file formats like MP3, MP4, FLAC, or AAC you can save into to give you more flexibility.
- Built-In Video Editor – Video editor is a must-have feature in a YouTube downloading tool. Maybe you want a specific song in your video or you might want to edit out a particular part.
- Speed: The tool needs to download and quickly convert videos. The only thing that should affect your speed is your internet connection.
Online Video Downloading Tool
If you are looking to learn how to save a YouTube video by using a video downloading tool, follow these steps. Head to YouTube and find the video you want to download.
Copy the link URL and open the video downloading tool in a new tab. After opening, it will display a text box for you to paste your copied link URL.
Here’s a screenshot from y2mate, an online video downloading tool. Just paste the URL in the text box and click ‘start’.
In the case of downloadable tools, you would need to download and install your chosen program on your computer. Be careful not to download any additional unnecessary software.
An example of an online tool is Keepvid. It helps you download video files with Apple MacOS, iPad, iPhone, and Android devices.
There are more YouTube apps in the Google Play Store that work with different smartphones. If you download from Vimeo to watch videos offline, there are many other options available.
Choosing File Format & Video Quality.
Tools usually present you with a host of file format choices, video quality, and file size once you paste the YouTube video URL into the search box. You can select the option you want and click on the “Download” option.
YouTube videos can be downloaded in many formats. This include (take a breath…) MPG, WMV, M2TS, 3GP, AVI, ASF, WEBM, HTML5 WEBM, 3G2, FLV, MKV, SWF, HTML5 OGG, HTML5, and more.
Download YouTube Videos Directly
Yes! You can download YouTube videos directly from the site. This is how you can download youtube videos without any software.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Open YouTube in your web browser and find the video to download.
2. Edit the URL by entering ‘pp’ after “youtube,” but before ‘.com.’
3. Press the ‘Enter’ button, and you will get redirected to a free download site.
4. Choose a free service that you don’t need to download or install.
5. Choose format and video quality.
6. Click on the “download” option
Just like that, you’ll have your video within a couple of seconds.
Download YouTube Videos with Browser Add-Ons
For those who do not want to mess with the YouTube video URL and don’t want to use a third-party tool to download videos, you can use a browser add-on. It’s another option you have to save YouTube videos.
1. Choose your add-on.
There’s an add-on for everything you could need. Youtube videos? No problem!
Choose from a variety of options available depending on the type of browser you use.
Here’s an example of a similar add-on called ‘YouTube Video and Audio Downloader‘ for Opera (if you’re using Google Chrome just check chrome extensions. But since YouTube is owned by Google, they do a pretty good job of keeping these extensions off of the market).
2. Download and Install the Add-on.
The process is easy in Opera. And it’s similar for other browsers also.
In Opera, click on the ‘Add to Opera’ option displayed in green color. Make sure you download the correct add-on for the browser you use, otherwise it will not work.
3. Find the video you want and choose your format.
After installing the add-on, you’ll notice an icon on the right-hand side (for Opera users) everytime you open the Youtube site. This comes with the display of the following options:
- Quick download
- Download panel
- Conversion tool
Click on the “quick download” option to have the video installed in your system. Note that you won’t get the direct download option from YouTube no matter what browser you use unless you use an add-on.
Downloading YouTube Videos with a Virtual Desktop
Here’s how you can do it.
1. Go to the YouTube platform and search for the video you want and download. Press the ‘Enter’ button and the video starts playing.
2. Add “vd” To The URL. Edit the video address and add the letters’ vd’ before ‘youtube’ and after ‘www.’. A process is similar to when you directly download videos by adding ‘ss’ to the URL.
3. Press the ‘Enter’ button and you get redirected to the Django website for the video you wish to download.
4. Choose your Video Format and Quality.
5. Download and enjoy!
Downloading YouTube Videos with a VLC Player
Yes, VLC Media Player can download YouTube Videos.
1. Find the URL of the YouTube video that you want to download.
2. Open VLC Media Player and head over to the ‘Media’ option, and click on it.
4. Select the ‘Open Network Stream’ option (for Windows) or “Open Network” (for Mac users)
5. Open Media. You will then see a page with a text editor, no matter what OS you’re using. Paste the web address of the YouTube video you’d like to download.
5. Hit ‘Play’. When you click on ‘play’, the video starts playing on VLC.
6. Click ‘Tools’ in the top right corner. You’ll see an option called ‘codec information.’ A new window opens once you click.
Copy the video info from the text box at the bottom of the page. This step is simple for Windows users.
If you’re a Mac user, right-click on the field and select on the ‘Open URL’ option.
8. Copy and Paste the URL.
9. The video should now be playing in your web browser. Right-click on the video and select the ‘save video as’ option.
10. The video should now begin to download. The default format is an MP4 file and the default title is ‘video playback.’
Wrapping up Downloading YouTube Videos.
We’ve covered some of the best ways to download and save YouTube videos.
You can download YouTube videos without any software, but it comes with risks.
Be careful not to select any additional software that could slow down your computer or do worse harm.
I suggest software like 4K Download – it’s the best tool for getting the most outstanding quality on your video and MP3 conversions.
4K Download lets you access your favorite YouTube videos at any time, even if you don’t have internet.
If your goal is never to miss a video again and watch videos in the future, then these are great solutions for you.
Do you already download YouTube videos? If so, which tool do you use?